Tzistarakis Mosque dominates Monastiraki Square. It was built in 1759 by the Turkish voivode (local governor) Mustafa Aga (or Tzistarakis). Tzistarakis demolished the 17th column of Olympian Zeus Temple to supply his workers with whitewash. It has loggia with four columns and two rows of four windows in each side. Since 1981 it has been operating as Museum of Traditional Ceramics. It is the only mosque in Athens that people can visit.
Next to Roman Agora is the impressive Fethiye Mosque, built (1458) in honor of Mohammed the Conqueror when he visited Athens. It is now open to the public after many years and is being used as an exhibition space.
The Old Turkish Baths (Hamam Abit Efenti) are situated in Plaka (8 Kiristou Street). They were built in the 17th century and constituted a spot for developing social life during Ottoman Occupation.
The gate of Muslim Seminary, part of which was destroyed after a fire in 1911, is preserved at the corner of Aeolou and Pelopida Streets. According to an inscription on the Seminary’s entrance, it was built in 1721 and consisted of the central building operating as school and mosque, residential area of students and teachers (hodja), a kitchen and the central yard.